Tsunamis can be detected using our human senses.
Recognize a tsunami’s natural warning signs.
- Big local earthquakes may cause tsunamis
- FEEL the ground shaking severely, or for a long time?
- Tsunami may be preceded by a rapid fall in sea level as the ocean recedes, exposing reefs, rocks, and fishes on the sea bottom.
- Tsunami often come ashore as a wall of water, and quickly flood inland.
- SEE an unusual disappearance of water, or oncoming wall of water?
- Abnormal ocean activity, a wall of water, and
approaching tsunami create a loud “roaring”
sound similar to that of a train or jet aircraft.
- HEAR the roar?
- Don’t wait for official evacuation orders.
- Immediately leave low-lying coastal areas.
- Move inland to higher ground.
- RUN if you see a tsunami coming!
Download and print these natural warning signs: Sensing a Tsunami (PDF)
View all ITIC's Tsunami Safety flyers in English, Bahasa (Indonesia), Tongan and Spanish. Click here.