1. Be aware of tsunami facts. This knowledge could save your life!
Click here to download our "Tsunamis on the move..." poster which covers basic tsunami facts.
2. Share this knowledge with family and friends. It could save their lives!
Click here to read our Tsunami Saftety Rules.
3. Determine if you live, work, play, or transit in a coastal low lying area or tsunami evacuation zone.
4. Follow the advice of local emergency and law enforcement authorities. Do not return until local authorities say it is safe.
5. Stay away from bodies of water. If you are at the beach or near the ocean, and you feel the earth shake, move immediately inland to higher ground. Do not wait for a tsunami warning to be issued. Stay away from rivers and streams that lead to the ocean due to strong tsunami wave action and currents.
6. Take shelter. If you live in a tsunami evacuation zone and hear that there is a tsunami warning, your family should evacuate your house. Walk in an orderly, calm manner to the evacuation site or to any safe place outside your evacuation zone. If you are in school and you hear there is a tsunami warning, you should follow the advice of teachers and other school officials. If you are unable to quickly move inland then a high, multi-story, reinforced concrete building may provide a safe refuge on the third floor and above.