11 March 2011, MW 9.0, Near the East Coast of Honshu Japan Tsunami

2011 off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku, Japan Earthquake and Tsunami Information Clearinghouse
2011 Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami Joint Survey Group
15 March 2011: 3 days after the 11 March 2011 Earthquake off the Pacific Coast of Tohoku, Japan
12 March 2011: IOC Coordinated Tsunami Warning System Plays Key Role in Japanese Emergency


The 11 March 2011 magnitude 9.0 Honshu, Japan earthquake (38.322 N, 142.369 E, depth 32 km) generated a tsunami that was observed all over the Pacific region and caused tremendous devastation locally. As of 30 May 2011, the Japan National Police Agency reports 15,270 persons killed and 8,499 persons missing from the earthquake and tsunami. 115,433 residents are still staying at evacuation shelters.  The 2011 Tohoku Earthquake Tsunami Joint Survey Group (http://www.coastal.jp/tsunami2011/) reports highest tsunami runup heights at Sendai in the 15-20 m range.  On 7 April 2011, a M7.1 (USGS) earthquake aftershock occurred which killed 2 persons, but no tsunami was generated.
The 11 March 2011 Japanese tsunami was the first to cause deaths since the 1993 Sea of Japan magnitude 7.7 earthquake caused 23 deaths and generated a tsunami that caused an additional 208 deaths in Japan. In comparison, the most fatal and damaging tsunami that has ever occurred in the world was the 2004 magnitude 9.1 Sumatra earthquake and tsunami that caused almost 230,000 deaths, $10 billion in damage, and a maximum water height of 50 m.
According to the NOAA National Geophysical Data Center / World Data Center for Marine Geology and Geophysics / (http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/hazard/) Global Historical Event databases, 260 confirmed tsunamis have been generated near Japan since 684 A.D. Of these, 71 (27%) caused deaths. The majority of Japanese tsunamis were generated by earthquakes (94%), the remainder were caused by volcanic eruptions (6%). The most fatal Japanese tsunamis are listed below:

  • 1498 Enshunada Sea earthquake-generated tsunami caused 31,000 deaths
  • 1586 Ise Bay earthquake and tsunami caused over 8,000 deaths
  • 1707 Nankaido earthquake and tsunami caused 30,000 deaths
  • 1771 Ryukyu Islands earthquake-generated tsunami caused over 13,000 deaths
  • 1896 Sanriku earthquake and tsunami caused over 27,000 deaths

1) Alert Information International
2) Sea Level KMZ (ZIP of KMZ 7.5 MB)
Energy and Max wave amplitudes - (JPG 1.3 MB)
Max wave amplitudes by country - (JPG 688 KB)
3) Seismic
4) Model Simulations
5) Data and Information Sites
6) Media Japan Damage Reports
7) Photos, Satellite Imagery
8) Videos
9) Post-Earthquake Post-Tsunami Surveys
10) Other







find us on facebook

Featured Resources

banner materiales educativos

Regional Disaster Information Center (Latin America & the Caribbean)

A database of Spanish language materials focused on tsunami preparedness.
dsc00149 thumbnail

Post-Tsunami Survey:
El Salvador Summary Video

Learn the basics of a post-tsunami survey.

TsunamiTeacher USA
Tsunami Basics

Also on YouTube youtube_logo
(w/closed captioning)

Learn the basics of tsunamis. Available in English and Samoan.

Tsunamis on the Move

Tsunami Awareness Poster

Awareness poster available in English, Chinese, French, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Singalese.


Global Hazard Maps

Posters of Tsunami Sources, Significant Earthquakes and Significant Volcanic Eruptions. Also Tsunami Sources Icosohedron Globe.

great waves en 12 small thumbnail

Tsunami, The Great Waves

Available in English, Spanish, French and Chinese.


tsunami glossary 2013 thumbnail

Tsunami Glossary

Available in English, Arabic, Spanish, French and Bahasa. 



Where the First Wave Arrives in Minutes

Available in English, Bahasa, Spanish and French.


DVD copies for PC and Macintosh computers are available free of charge from the ITIC, Hawaii (itic.tsunami@noaa.gov).

Hosted by:
UNESCO/IOC Project Office for IODE Oostende, Belgium
© 2015 International Tsunami Information Center | A UNESCO/IOC-NOAA Partnership
1845 Wasp Boulevard, Building 176, Honolulu, HI 96818, USA | Tel: +1 808 725 6050 | Fax: +1 808 725 6055