|ITIC Tsunami Awareness and Education Materials Information Document [May 2014]|
In the aftermath of the 26 December 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami, many excellent tsunami awareness materials were developed, especially at the country level, to inform the public and decision-makers on tsunami hazards, risks, preparedness, and mitigation. In this DVD, the ITIC offers a small compilation of general and basic tsunami awareness materials that can be used to support the needs of government agencies, emergency managers and educators. Many of the included materials were originally developed to support countries of the Pacific Tsunami Warning & Mitigation System (PTWS) during the 1990s and early 2000s, and were then revised and updated after the 2004 catastrophe to emphasize tsunamis as a global hazard requiring a global early warning system.
For ITIC-authored materials Tsunami, the Great Waves, Tsunami Warning!, and the Tsunami Awareness Safety posters and flyers are provided in formats to allow them to be customized in order to meet the needs, cultures, and languages of countries and local communities. Tsunami Glossary 2008 is also available on request. These formats, including the text and figures, are provided for your copying and free use; we ask that you retain the logos and attributes to the UNESCO IOC ITIC, and the credits to the individual authors and/or agencies, but you may also add your agency information and print and distribute the revised materials free-of-charge. Upon modification, we ask that you provide the ITIC with electronic and print copies of your revision. Your sharing will enable us to share your work with others.
The .pdf files, in both low and high resolution (created in Adobe Acrobat 7.0), were created from the originals for both online and print distribution. The .doc files (created in Microsoft Word 2003) are intended for easy translation into other languages, or to allow easy insertion of local information. The .ai files (created in Adobe Illustrator CS) are the original files used to create the product and can be modified to include local images and content. The ITIC would be happy to work with you to finalize and make your materials publication-ready with the same design layout as in the originals.
In general, our goal is to have all basic materials available in at least English, French, and Spanish. Selected materials are also available in other languages. These have been contributed by Member States, and ITIC has received copies of their translated materials.
All files are available by DVD from ITIC on request, or available for download from the ITIC web site (this webpage), see below.
We regret that we are unable to offer the full range and breadth of the materials that are available in this 1-DVD compilation. Please do contact us (email@example.com) if you have other requests or need further information or examples. We very much welcome your additional contributions to our library collection!
CONTENTS OF DVD
1) Tsunami, The Great Waves (general infomation booklet)
2) Tsunami Glossary (technical, includes science and warning systems)
3) Tsunami Warning! Children's Cartoon Book (cartoon book for children describing a tsunami warning)
5) Map Posters
7) Surviving a Tsunami - Lessons from Chile, Hawaii, and Japan, USGS
9) EQ and Tsunami Textbooks and Teacher’s Guides (Color), Pre-K, Grades 2-4, 5-8, 9-12, Servicio Hidrográfico y Oceanográfico de la Armada de Chile (SHOA)/IOC/ITIC, 1997, Revised 2003 (English, Spanish). Spanish Teacher’s Guides revised 2012.
13) TsunamiTeacher, in DVD format (distance learning / training resource)
14) Save Your Lives from Tsunami!, Japan Meteorological Agency (JMA), 2004, in .mpg format
15) Let’s Learn to Prevent Disasters!, ISDR, UNICEF (TACRO), 2003 (childeren's activity book)
16) Stop Disasters! On-line Game. UN/ISDR, 2007, available at http://www.stopdisastersgame.org
17) Depositories of Awareness, Preparedness, and Education Materials in Indonesia, Thailand and The Philippines, UNESCO/Jakarta Tsunami Information Centre, 2011 (English).
18) US Awareness materials for children
Tsunamis: ¡Listos debemos estar!, Red Sísmica de Puerto Rico and San Diego Country Office of Emergency Service (California, USA), 2013, Spanish, in video format.
19) Niuatoputapu Tsunami: Tongan survivor accounts of the 2009 South Pacific earthquake and tsunami UNESCO/IOC- NOAA ITIC, Tonga Broadcasting Commission, 2013. English and Tongan.
20) Inamura no Hi (Japanese folk tale), ADRC, 2008 Bangladesh, English, French, India (Hindi, Tamil), Indonesia, Malaysia, Nepal, Philippines, Singapore, Sri Lanka
The following are available separately on request:
1) International Tsunami Information Center (ITIC) Brochure, revised 2010
2) ITIC Library Services Brochure, revised 2010
3) Pacific Tsunami Warning and Mitigation System (PTWS) Brochure, revised 2013